Cinnamon Swirl Banana Nut Muffins
If cinnamon swirl toast and banana nut bread could hug, this would be the result.
I like creating jumbo muffins, so they look like they came right out of my local coffee shop. But, if you don’t have a jumbo muffin tin, feel free to use a regular-size muffin tin.
1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cane sugar
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1/4 cup nondairy milk
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp white whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp applesauce
Makes 12 Muffins or 6 Jumbo Muffins
Active Time: 15 - 20 minutes
Baking Time: 25 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with paper or silicon cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cane sugar, baking powder, and salt until well combined and then form a well in the center.
- Add the mashed bananas, milk, applesauce, and vanilla extract to the center of the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Gently fold in the walnuts, if using.
- In a small bowl, stir together the swirl ingredients.
- Into each muffin cup, scoop a small tablespoon of muffin batter and then sprinkle a small spoonful of swirl. Repeat this until you’ve used up all the batter and the swirl. Use a toothpick to gently swirl 5 times within each muffin.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick or fork inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool for a few minutes before eating or serving.
- If you don’t like walnuts, but want some extra sparkle, you could use chocolate chips or raisins instead.
- For gluten-free muffins, you could use 2 cups of oat flour.