Blissed Out Burgers
These are amazing for summer gatherings or for a peaceful night in. I also like taking these as a snack for when I am out and about.
I used a patty press to make the edges very neat and uniform, but that’s optional. They’ll look wonderful even if you just use your hands to form the patties.
2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
1/4 cup water
1 medium sweet potato, cubed and steamed
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup oat or whole wheat flour
1 small red onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried basil
2 cups finely chopped kale
6-8 burger buns or 12-16 sourdough bread slices (optional)
Preferred fixings, such as sliced tomatoes, sliced onions, lettuce, ketchup, mustard, pickles, guacamole, salsa, relish, etc. (optional)
Makes 6-8 Burgers
Active Time: 20 minutes
Baking/waiting Time: 40 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix the flaxseed meal and water. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the steamed sweet potato cubes with a fork or potato masher until it looks like orange mashed potatoes. Add the oats and flour and mix well.
- Add the onions, garlic, apple cider vinegar, tamari, oregano, basil, and kale to the sweet potato mixture and stir to combine.
- Poor in the flaxseed mixture and use your hands to combine. Let this mixture sit for about 10 minutes.
- Use a patty press, biscuit cutter, or your hands to form 6 to 8 burgers. They should be about 1/2 inch thick. Place the burgers on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the burgers for 15 minutes, flip, and bake for another 15 minutes or until slightly crispy and golden brown.
- Enjoy on burger buns/bread/lettuce with your preferred fixings.