Every plant-based eater needs a go-to scrambled tofu recipe. It’s ideal for a savory leisurely breakfast or a breakfast for dinner kind of deal.
If you are not a fan of tofu, feel free to swap it out for some semi-mashed chickpeas or cannellini beans.
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt (optional)
3 Tbsp water
3 cloves of garlic, minced
16-oz extra firm tofu, drained
1/4 nutritional yeast
fresh black pepper (to taste)
3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup spinach, chopped
Time: 30 minutes
- In a small bowl, add the cumin, thyme, turmeric, salt, and water. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Heat up a non-stick pan and add the garlic with a little bit of water. Cook the garlic for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes and add to the the large non-stick pan. Saute the tofu for about 10 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomatoes and the spice bland and stir until well combined.
- Add the nutritional yeast and black pepper. Let this mixture cook for about 3 minutes and then add the spinach.
- Cook for 2 more minutes or until the spinach is slightly cooked. Serve warm with some toast, ketchup, and a steamy cup of tea or coffee.
- I like my scrambled tofu with cherry tomatoes and spinach, but you can add whatever vegetables you like or have. Mushrooms, bell peppers, broccoli, and/or onions would all work wonderfully.
- This also works well as a burrito filling. You can use a classic burrito shell or collard greens for the wrap.
- In case you missed the note at the top of this post and do not like tofu, feel free to use partially mashed chickpeas or cannellini beans instead. If you do this, I would recommend adding 1 Tbsp of miso paste as well.